Key to Glenwood Springs profitable a aggressive federal preparing grant before this calendar year was figuring out a string of “brownfield” homes that could qualify as goal sites.
Commonly, when a person thinks of a brownfield web page they visualize a substantial, deserted, polluted urban industrial web-site.
All those sites usually involve a whole lot of cleanup ahead of any redevelopment takes place, noticed Glenwood Town Supervisor Debra Figueroa at an open up property to demonstrate the “Glenwood — Moving Ahead Together” setting up energy.
Which is not automatically the case for the Glenwood web pages discovered to obtain a $200,000 Environmental Protection Association Brownfields Spot-Large Planning Grant, she said.
But the 3 web-sites lie in just a greater planning spot, supplying a exceptional opportunity for the town as it performs to improved connect four distinct locations on either facet of the Colorado River. Separate redevelopment endeavours are underway in the parts.
They incorporate the metropolis-owned previous wastewater therapy plant web site, situated at the confluence of the Roaring Fork and Colorado rivers, Colorado Section of Transportation’s servicing facility and the privately owned Holly Quarry web site earlier mentioned U.S. 6 and 24.
Advisable Stories For You
The former limestone quarry belongs to Steve and Jeanne Beckley, homeowners of the Glenwood Caverns Experience Park. The web site is remaining planned for a hotel and new “mine shaft” access up to the amusement park and caves.
As for the city’s previous sewer plant web page, it is slated to come to be portion of the larger confluence space redevelopment prepare. And CDOT is often analyzing its holdings for prospective increased and improved utilizes in the foreseeable future.
A pair of public open up residences this 7 days served to assemble community input on the broader preparing energy, coinciding with the imminent last completion of the Grand Avenue Bridge Venture.
Moving Ahead seeks means to tie together the confluence system with the planned Seventh Street enhancements, the Sixth Road redevelopment master prepare and the Two Rivers Park shoreline restoration project and similar park advancements.
“We’re not on the lookout to do one more program,” explained Figueroa, who was instrumental in getting the federal grant. She has also labored on Spot-Large Grant organizing attempts in some of her past work opportunities.
“We’re on the lookout to acquire the multiple plans that we have accomplished and convert it into an implementation plan … so we can figure out how to really go them forward,” she explained.
Members at the Wednesday and Thursday classes had been questioned to weigh in on four focus places. Between the distinct issues men and women were questioned to rank had been, regarding transportation and connectivity:
• Boost the city’s smaller-town character working with typical downtown block length as a design for new advancement
• Market road units that have pedestrian/bicycle facilities and inviting types
• Market a “park once and wander” mindset, so folks usually are not compelled to push from stage to stage in just the scheduling region.
With regards to group character and structure:
• Maintain little-town character whilst preserving livability of Glenwood Springs and escalating business good results
• Extending downtown creating style and design features to any new Sixth Street advancement.
About parks, community areas and recreation:
• Expand public access to and alongside the Colorado River, including a river walkway from Iron Mountain Very hot Springs by Two Rivers Park to the confluence area
• Develop a general public plaza-like space together the Roaring Fork River facet of the confluence space
• Generate a general public plaza at the former bridge landing on Sixth Avenue
• Build Seventh Avenue as an “activities street” corridor that serves each as a road link and public gathering place.
And concerning financial enhancement chances:
• Endorse improvement that consists of economical housing selections for place personnel, young people and retirees
• Future redevelopment of the aged sewer site should really hook up downtown to the river
• Encourage Glenwood Springs as an outdoor recreation vacation spot, with perfectly-developed connections to waterways and trails.
The EPA Area-Extensive setting up effort is remaining led by consultants from Stromberg/Garrigan and Associates, which has labored on numerous these assignments. Locally, nonprofit land-preparing consultants Community Builders is also included.
A adhere to-up organizing workshop is scheduled for Jan. 10 in the Morgridge Commons at the CMC/Glenwood Springs Library developing at Eighth and Cooper.