SHARE


IKEA bosses have re-issued a warning over a range of furniture after another child was crushed by a set of drawers.

The company first issued a warning in July 2015 after two children were killed when drawers and wardrobes fell on them.

It was highlighted again last April when another child, Janet McGee’s 22-month-old son Ted was killed in America.

Ted McGee

A US recall has now been issued once again following the death of Josef Dudek, a two-year-old boy in California in May.

He reportedly died when he became trapped beneath a three-drawer Malm chest after being put down for a nap by his father.

Although the recall of the Malm range and other models of chests and dressers is limited to the US – because UK bosses say the furniture ‘meets all mandatory stability requirements’ – customers are being reminded of the need to fix this type of furniture to the wall.

The problem with the furniture is that the chests and dressers are unstable if they are not properly anchored to the wall, ‘posing serious tip-over and entrapment hazards that can result in injuries or death to children’.

There have been eight reports of child tip-over related deaths with the recalled chests and dressers, the most recent being Josef’s.

IKEA has received 186 reports of tip-over incidents involving the Malm range, including 91 reports of injuries to children.

In addition, there have been 113 reports of tip-overs with other recalled IKEA chests and dressers, including 53 reports of injuries.

The company has a ‘Secure It!’ campaign to raise awareness of the issue .

A spokeswoman for Ikea said it was not aware of any tip-over fatalities outside the US and has no plans to expand the recall, but wants to reinforce the message of its global Secure it! campaign to encourage the correct use of the tip-over restraint that comes with the products.

Donna Moore, UK customer relations manager told the M.E.N: “At IKEA, we believe children are the most important people in the world and the safety of our products is our highest priority.

“Customers should always feel confident that products bought at IKEA are safe to use. Accidents related to furniture tip-over is a serious home safety issue for the entire home furnishing industry and this week, IKEA US and the US Consumer Product Safety Commission are re-announcing the ongoing voluntary recall of certain chests of drawers in the US.

“IKEA chests of drawers meet all mandatory stability requirements on all markets where sold and we would like to reassure people that IKEA chests of drawers are safe when anchored to the wall as per the assembly instructions, using the tip over restraint provided with the product.

“We are committed to raising awareness among consumers of the tip over risks and how to prevent them and are convinced that we can make a difference by sharing knowledge about safety in the home through our ‘Secure it!’ awareness campaign.

“IKEA urges all customers to check their chests of drawers are securely anchored to the wall. Any customer is welcome to contact us to request a free replacement restraint kit if they haven’t already fixed their chest of drawers to the wall.

“Alternatively, should any customer be unhappy with their IKEA furniture they can return the product to their local IKEA store in line with our generous returns policy”.

As well as the death of Josef in May, the fully tally of deaths makes for a shocking read.

Previously reported deaths with MALM dressers or chests include:
• February 2016: A 22-month-old boy died after an unanchored MALM 6-drawer chest fell on top of him.
• June 2014: A 23-month-old boy died after he became trapped beneath an unanchored MALM 3-drawer chest that tipped over.
• February 2014: A 2-year-old boy died after an unanchored MALM 6-drawer chest tipped over fatally pinning him against his bed.
• September 2011: A 2-year-old boy died after an unanchored MALM 3-drawer chest tipped over and trapped him between the dresser drawers.

Previously reported deaths with other model IKEA chests and dressers include:
• July 1989: A 20-month-old girl died after an unanchored GUTE 4-drawer chest tipped over and pinned her against the footboard of a youth bed.
• March 2002: A 2½-year-old boy died after an unanchored RAKKE 5-drawer chest tipped over and fatally pinned him to the floor.
• October 2007, a 3-year-old girl died after a KURS 3-drawer chest tipped over and fatally pinned her to the floor. It is unknown whether the dresser was anchored or not.

IKEA has stores locally in Ashton-under-Lyne and Warrington.

Anyone concerned about their furniture can contact IKEA on 0203 645 0010 to request a free restraint kit if the original one was disposed of.

To see a complete list of other non-MALM chests and dressers included in the US recall, visit the website here .



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here