Parents have been urged to throw plug socket covers in the bin or risk their children seriously harming themselves.
Electrician Steve Palmer’s warning about “horrible, unsafe” socket covers has been viewed more than a million times since it was put on Facebook a week ago.
The father-of-five, who works at JPS Electrical Services in Bristol, has urged parents to discard the ‘safety’ devices after demonstrating how they could expose children to a 230V current.
In a video posted to Facebook, the electrician shows how easily his sons, Jayden, one at the time, and Preston, three, can remove and replace the covers.
He then goes on to explain how placing a prong into the top pin socket can potentially open up the live pin socket and a strong current.
Talking about standard socket with no cover he says: “These sockets go through vigorous testing…to make sure that they are safe.
“You don’t need (plug socket cover) to make it safe.
“In fact, what you are actually doing, is giving your child a tool that will allow them to open up the live conductors.”
He explains that his sons treated the plug socket cover “like a jigsaw”, putting the guard in at different angles and potentially upside down leaving the live pin socket exposed.
The father-of-five then demonstrates that he is able to reach the plug’s live conductors when the guard is in at this angle.
He continues: “It could stay like that for days, weeks, possibly even a month, in which time your child has found something small and conductive, perhaps metal and they’ve come along and put it in (the socket).”
He continued: “These horrible, unsafe socket covers need to go in the bin.
“These things are a tool for your child to cause some serious harm to themself. Chances are it might not happen but why live in ifs, buts and maybes?”